Sunday, July 5, 2009

Chistmas for Grown-ups and My Library Haul (3)

Receiving books in the mail is just the best--and this week I've scored majorly parcel-wise. It really was like Christmas because I've ordered and mooched so many books recently that I'd forgotten what is coming when. Here's what's turned up so far... (sorry the pics are a bit dark!)

The Claidi Collection by Tanith Lee (Better World Books) , The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper (mooched), Touch the Dark by Karen Chance (fishpond) and Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien (Better World Books). I've read all except Touch the Dark. Lately I've felt the need to have copies of my favourite books on hand, and try to stop DUI-ing them: donating under the influence! Sometimes I get too enthusiastic about encouraging people to read...


The Secret Circle Trilogy by L. J. Smith (eBay). I loved these in high school and have made it my quest to obtain all Smith's books with their original covers. They're just so kitsch, especially the Night World ones!

This was a real score--the first four Obernewtyn Chronicles titles by Isobelle Carmody (eBay) in near perfect condition, and they only cost me $50 including postage. I must say I really like these new covers, and felt no real attachment to the ones that were on the originals. I'll be re-reading Obernewtyn shortly for my dystopian challenge.

From the library I got The Hunger Games (for a re-read), Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (loving it--review shortly) and How to Ditch your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier, after a commenter here recommended it.

My tummy's rumbling and I can smell the spinach and ricotta lasagne cooking in the oven, so must fly!

2 comments:

  1. You know I´ve never bought or sold anything on eBay. I bet not too many people can say that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that's an awesome copy of THE DARK IS RISING. What a wonderful series! And I really enjoyed the Claidi books as well.

    ReplyDelete