Saturday, September 12, 2009

In My Mailbox (4)

This meme is hosted by The Story Siren.

I was told it would be sunny today but there is a pall of cloud hanging over the city. Not happy.

See? Pall.

So far on this happy Caturday I have had two cups of chai, one cup of lemon tea, one cup of coffee and two slices of leftover pizza. In my defence I have been eating salad and green tea all week, the boy is snoring his head off and our cafe breakfast is hours away. I have bashed out more than a thousand words for my WIP (current word count 15, 689), researched mortality statistics and admired next door's fat grey tabby. The mortality statistics are for my WIP. The tabby is just cute.

Once I've finished this post I'm going to curl up on the couch with ... (drumroll please)

It's here! It's here! There's the book, there's the couch. All this picture needs now is me!

From BookMooch I received How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff and The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner. From eBay I scored Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park, which is probably my favourite Australian YA book. For review I got My Soul To Take by Rachel Vincent. Thanks Harlequin Teen for sending all the way from the US!

From the library I picked up Genesis by Bernard Beckett and Arrival (Strangers of Paragor Book One) by Charlotte McConaghy. Charlotte is Australian and younger than me, resulting in equal parts awe and jealousy.


Later today I plan to soak in the bath, dye my hair (my mousy roots have begun to appear! Exterminate!) and paint my nails my favourite shade which looks something like this. Not quite red and not quite orange. The bottle says "coral", but that evokes the Golden Girls and blue rinses. Yuck. At approximately midnight tonight I will be found on Chapel Street in my most fabulous little black dress, club-hopping. I'm going out bare-legged for the first time since May, pall be damned.

I leave you with An Engineer's Guide to Cats. I want to marry this man!


10 comments:

  1. damn it - I was at the Brisbane Writers Festival today and apparently she was hosting a discussion about that book. I wish i'd gone now :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Playing Beatie Bow! You've just given me major flashbacks. I probably need to reread that, since I read it ages ago and was probably too young for it at the time. Have you seen the movie?

    *Loved* How I Live Now, Genesis and Catching Fire (of course). You've got some great reading ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catching Fire and How I Live Now are boh AMAZING! Hope you enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to make you jealous. Today it will be 103 degrees Fahrenheit here in Phoenix AZ. Which is on the cool side.
    Some great reads. I will be adding them to my tbr pile.
    Absolutely loved the video. I got tears from laughing so hard. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great IMM post :)
    You are going to love Catching Fire - I just finished reading it. There is a cliff hanger but, at least for me, it's not unbearable.

    So...how exactly would you define 'pall'?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome books you got this week. I got My Soul to Take a while ago but I haven't read it yet. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, did you like Catching Fire? And I hope you like The Thief enough to go on to the even greater goodness that is the next two books...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got some lovelies there Rhiannon. Like you I am extremely fond of Playing Beattie Bow but I think mine originates with the movie. Catching Fire I read this week and I eager to read your thoughts.

    Looking forward to some great reviews on some even more awesome books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lauren and Adele--yes I love the film adaptation too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If it makes you feel better there had been a pall over Washington, DC for days before yesterday when the sun finally peeked out.

    I read Catching Fire last month and thought it was even better than The Hunger Games. I'll be interested to hear your take on it. But more than that I read Genesis several months ago (still need to review it on my blog) and thought it to be quite compelling for such a short story. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete