Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Fine in '09

I've already related some of my favourite reads of this year and what's making me ga-ga for next year on The Book Smugglers. This post will be about the best books I read this year regardless of when they were published. For more a more '09-focused list, check out my post on the Smugglers.

I can't recommend the following books enough! Follow the links for my reviews.

The Death of Grass, John Christopher
Teach Me, R. A. Nelson
Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov














Poison Study, Maria V. Snyder
Z for Zachariah, Robert C. O'Brien
Brave New World, Aldous Huxley














The Chrysalids, John Wyndham
The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
Ice, Sarah Beth Durst














The Knife of Never Letting Go, Patrick Ness
The Ask and the Answer, Patrick Ness
Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card














The Road, Cormac McCarthy
Crank, Ellen Hopkins
The Monstrumologist, Rick Yancey

9 comments:

  1. Such a diverse collection. You've really never read Ender's Game until this year? You're list has rekindled some on my TBR list...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so ecclectic. Great list. I haven't read a lot of these, but will have to look into them. Sadly, I'm only now getting back to reading after several months of obsessing over my own writing. I'm amazed by how much reading is actually helping to unleash my own creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, I know! What took me so long??

    Carolina, I know what you mean. Sometimes an author's voice is so good I see the effect of it in my own writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for POISON STUDY and ENDER'S GAME! This is a good idea. I've been wanting to highlight the books I read in '09 that weren't pubbed this year. Problem solved. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Knife of Never Letting Go is just amazing. I can't recommend that book enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm amazed by how much reading is actually helping to unleash my own creativity

    How to make a website

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angie--I look forward to yours!

    Becky--It is SO amazing. Everyone should be reading it right now.

    kanishk--So right :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many of yours are ones I love too: The Road, Poison Study, hunger games. I also have The Knife of Never Letting Go on my nightstand just begging to be opened. I think I need to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this list! It is eclectic and full of awesomeness. Some of these reviews were from before I followed you so now I have some new books to add to Mt. TBR!

    ReplyDelete