I've been somewhat prone to excess this week and this has naturally flowed over into my book buying...
- The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales, Bruno Bettelheim. I saw an author talking about this book on a blog. It's non-fiction, and I'm very interested to know the psychological implications of fairy tales. It was published in 1977 and I think it may be out of print. There are lots of secondhand copies floating around. I got mine from Better World Books.
- Wicked Lovely, Melissa Marr (Book Depository). I'm hoping for a good romancy-Labyrinth hit from this series.
- The Stepsister Scheme, Jim C Hines (Book Depository). A Smugglers recommendation.
- The Guardians, John Christopher (s/hand bookshop). YA by the author of The Death of Grass, one of my favourite reads this year. This is the guy who wrote the Tripods books, which are so FREAKING rare that I'm going to have to get them imported s/hand from the UK. Ouch.
- Love Bites, Lynsay Sands (ARC)
- The Return of the Soldier, Rebecca West (s/hand bookshop). This was put out by Virago Press, a feminist publisher who in the 80s put back in print a lot of books from the early twentieth century.
- Deathworld 1, Harry Harrison (s/hand bookshop). This cover I remember vividly from my childhood. It looks like a bit of a boysy sci-fi adventure, in a fun way.
- So Much to Tell You, John Marsden (s/hand bookshop). The author of the Tomorrow series' first book.
- Friday, Robert A. Heinlein (s/hand bookshop). My dad recommended this when I asked him about sci-fi for girls. My brother said "meh". We shall see ...
- I Capture the Castle, Dodie Smith (s/hand bookshop).
- The Death of Grass, John Christopher (s/hand bookshop). I needed to own a copy of this book.
- Child of the Prophecy, Book 3 of the Sevenwaters Trilogy, Juliet Marillier (s/hand bookshop). I haven't read or bought copies of books 1 and 2, but it was only $2 and everyone raves about this author.
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams (s/hand bookshop). I haven't read this yet. I KNOW *blush*
- Dragonflight, Anne McCaffrey (s/hand bookshop). The first book in the Dragons of Pern series. I just found a four-leaf clover pressed between pages 96 and 97. Lucky!
This week I will WRITE. I will NOT SHOP.
Now I must run. Zapp is making egg and bacon sandwiches ...