Being on submission is time to dream, so please indulge me. These are the books that I want to write and have published. Say, by the time I turn 30 (in five years). There's nothing like slapping an arbitrary deadline on dreams!
- A YA fantasy trilogy. All going well, this will be the Lharmell trilogy. Progress: drafts of book one complete; book two (The Harmings) almost complete; book three (Queen of Lharmell) outlined.
- A standalone urban fantasy. Progress: first draft one-third complete; the working title is Azrea. I'll be turning to this novel again as soon as I'm done with The Harmings.
- A short, satirical YA novel presently called Validity about the modesty movement, which I thoroughly disapprove of for many, many reasons. I had just started it when inspiration for Lharmell struck.
- A deep-space sci-fi with a teenage girl protagonist. In his book On Writing, Stephen King states that people love to read about other people working, and then joked why not write a novel about plumbers in space. I was immediately struck by the image of a curly-haired girl with a sour look, grease stains and a wrench. I don't think this was King's intention.
- A Harlequin romance. Not one of these new HarlequinTeens, either. A proper, skinny paperback Mills & Boon. Maybe a historical romance. I think it would be so much fun, and how gorgeous are these covers?
- A historical YA set in colonial Australia, perhaps during the gold rush on Central Victoria or outback South Australia.
I hope to write, and hopefully finish (or have thoroughly outlined at least) most of these books in 2010. It depends on how Lharmell fares on submission, of course. But either way I'll be a busy girl next year!
What about you? What's on your to-be-published wish list?