Saturday, May 22, 2010

In My Mailbox (30) + Happy Bloggyversary to me!

This meme is hosted by The Story Siren.

It has been one year since I first started this blog! Ah, how time flies. Not only has it been a pleasure writing posts and connecting with others, but it's also vastly improved my writing and given me a weekly focus. It's also possibly given me an exciting new career direction. It's too soon to say exactly what, but I think my chances are quite good and I may be taking a new step with my "day job". Writing-wise, particularly Lharmell-wise, there's no news. Yet. I still have hope, as these things take time. But look how far I've come in a year! From fourth-draft(ish) stage when I started this blog, to having finished book and signing with an agent. It's been such a pleasure sharing my experiences with you all.

And here's to another year! Another year of writing, and of reading the very best YA speculative fiction I can get my hands on. I can confirm that there will be another Dystopia Challenge this winter. While all you northern hemispherers are basking in sunshine/under a pall of volcano ash, I'll be spending the darkest time of the year reading some of the darker books I can get my hands on. I'm compiling the list carefully and will be taking suggestions very soon.

Now, this week's books!

Bought:

Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder. High hopes, high hopes indeed! How did you find it if you've read it?

For review:

I am so excited to have received a copy of Nomansland by Lesley Hauge. A big thank you to the publicist for sending it all the way to Australia. I've started reading it and it's just excellent.

Yup, the dystopia challenge seems to be starting early this year. My review of The Gardner will be up very soon. I had an unfortunate incident with my copy, however. I, um...left it on a tram when I was only twenty pages shy of finishing. DISASTER. In my defence it was 5 am. (My interim job sucks. I make coffee at ungodly hours of the morning.) I'm going to have to do some serious begging and see if I can get an electronic copy from the publicist!

Not books:

Tickets to Coppélia!


I adore dance and I haven't seen a ballet in ages. *Prances about*

Coppélia is a magical ballet in which belief is suspended and fantasy prevails. Dr Coppelius, an eccentric toy maker, dreams of breathing life into his collection of mechanical dolls. The young and precocious Swanhilda tricks Dr Coppelius into believing his dream has come true by changing places with his most beautiful doll, Coppélia. The action kicks off at the Harvest Festival, where the appearance of Dr Coppelius and his mysterious ‘daughter’ wreak havoc on the proceedings. When village boy Franz falls for Coppélia’s charms, his feisty fiancée Swanilda exacts her revenge. Identities are mistaken and plans foiled, the dreams of old age destroyed by thoughtless youth, with Franz learning the hard way not to fall for living dolls.


The sets have been described as straight from a fairy tale and the costumes look amazing. Can't wait!

Happy Caturday everyone!

16 comments:

  1. Ah Coppelia!

    I first saw this live when I was about 8 years old (I had two elder sisters who danced)! Beautiful music and it looks like a great production. Enjoy!

    Looking forward to the winter Dystopian Challenge - how about "Down to a Sunless Sea" by David Graham http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_to_a_Sunless_Sea - not YA though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be doing classic dytopian stuff that isn't necessarily YA, like The Sheep Look Up and I, Robot. Down to the Sunless Sea sounds pretty cool! And thank you, I will enjoy Coppelia very much I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are including "Sheep look up", try also "Stand on Zanzibar" which is its precursor(sort of). You might also try watching "Solyent Green".

    What about some Philip K Dick????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy blogoversary--or however one wants to spell it!

    Man, that publicist is SO nice. I occasionally get UK or Aussie publicists offering me review copies, then I never hear back from them when I let them know I'm in the US, but would still love to review the book. You'd think it wouldn't be a problem...

    *gasp* I can't believe that happened with The Gardener! Especially with that book. Cuz, ya know, it's that page-turning. Enjoy these books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nomansland sounds really good! Looking forward to your review :D

    And happy blogoversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Blogversary! Enjoy your books :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the year! I enjoy dystopian lit, so I'll be interested to see how these books are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary! I celebrated recently, too, and can't believe how awesome this year has been. Have fun with your reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy blogoversary! Mine was this past week as well! Isn't it such a great feeling? Here's to another year. :]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats, congrats, CONGRATS!
    I liked Inside Out quite a bit, actually. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Blogoversary!! You got some amazing books this week and I really hope 2010 is the year for you, that your book gets sold!! look how far you come in just 1 year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy blogoversary deary!!! here's to another year of awesomeness!!xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday/blogoversary...Only One year? wow...me too!

    Have a great 30 its such a fun age.

    I think you will enjoy Inside Out!

    ReplyDelete