Sunday, December 20, 2009

In My Mailbox (16): Just the fanciest book ever!

This meme is hosted by The Story Siren.

This week I left my job in publicity at an academic and non-fiction publishing house. It's been a wonderful two years there and it was my very first "real" job. But the position became part time and while it was good to have extra time to write, my bank balance wasn't looking so hot. I want to do a lot of travelling next year to see friends in faraway places. I kept telling myself that it would be okay because Lharmell will sell and that will pay for my trip. But I got sick of playing "What if?" On Thursday I had a job interview with a magazine publisher, working in subscriptions, and it went very well. (I've never had a personality test in a job interview before! Bizarre! Is this what the corporate world is really like?) Subscriptions is away from the production stuff I got to dabble in at my last job but at least I'll be keeping my foot in the industry door. It's also the sort of work that will stay at work, and not haunt me with typos at 4 am. (I hope.) Second interview on Wednesday. Wish me luck!

As a going away gift my boss gave me the most bee-yootiful Folio Society edition of Lord of the Flies by William Golding. It is a hardback with a slipcase (a slipcase! see? Fancy) and is beautifully illustrated.




Lord of the Flies
has one of those famous rejections stories attached to it. Originally it was twice as long and no one would touch it. Then finally some whizz-bang editor realised it was the second half of the book that really had something going for it and lopped the first half off.



I also got The Running Man by Stephen King (Bookmooch; I have never seen the movie and I was rather surprised to see Arnie on the cover) and Lonely Werewolf Girl by Martin Millar (for review; Piatkus, Australian released January 2010).

Stuff you should know about:
This week on the blog:
  • I'm about a third of a way through The Maze Runner and so far it's pretty great. Review up later in the week.
  • The best books I read this year, from Brave New World (1939) to Ice (2009).
  • Manuscript polishing: format, layout and editing quickie tips. Basically, stuff I learned from the slush at work.
I am either on holidays for two weeks, or unemployed. The second interview on Wednesday shall decide. Urk!

Poached eggs are calling to me. Happy holidays!

26 comments:

  1. oh thanks for all of the new blogs to check out :-) And I love Lord of the Flies! What a great edition to own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never read Lord of the Flies, but that is a cool looking book you got. I am going to check out Kidlit it sounds cool thanks for mention that site. Good luck on getting that other job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow cool stuff and congrats on a successful interview!!! Still have my fingers crossed for Lharmell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope everything goes well with your job interviews and all, traveling seems like a fun thing to do so have fun! I read LORD OF THE FLIES, the version you got is beautiful, is it with the original first half? Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the writing blog tips, I've bookmarked them all.

    Hoping for the best with your job interview. Any plans to visit Canada in your travels to far away places?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elle--possibleh. I had a friend there until recently but she's gone to Europe. There are a few bloggers I know there though! So far, definitely north and south America are on my must-go list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aaah you got lonely werewolf girl too! hooray.

    I'm also going to do a post on the best and worst of 2009 - I can't believe the year has almost gone!! A thousand times luck for your 2nd interview! <3

    -Aimee
    http://myflutteringheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good stuff. I saw that copy of Lord of Flies in a secondhand bookstore and I was kind of drooling for a couple minutes. I love weird covers :)

    I did not, however, like the Running Man AT ALL--one of the most famous examples of Big Name Authors getting too big for their britches, if you ask me (which you didn't, so I digress)

    Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Lord of the Files book is beautiful!
    I hope you like The Maze Runner - it's one of my best reads of 2009.
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rhiannon

    Awesome that your boss gave you such a nice parting gift.

    I'm sending scads of positive thoughts into the universe for you to find a terrific, satisfying job. And one that will not interfere with your writing. Feel the optimistic vibes? My fingers are crossed. Good luck, m'dear. Keep us posted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck on the job interview! Plus, nice going-away gifts. And Brave New World is one of my all-time favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks all for the words of encouragement! Let's hope I didn't make the leap too soon and end up unemployed for a month ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the interview, and good luck on the next one! And what beautiful books to have received as a send-off. Soundslike you're in a good place overall.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish you much job getting success because I want you to visit ME!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, the Lord of the Flies book looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Carolina!

    Lenore, I totally want to. Frankfurt sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck with the job situation, seriously. I think you're totally right about the merits of having a job you can leave at the office.

    Loving that Lord of the Flies cover. Amazing or what? And looking forward to your review of The Maze Runner, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that is a cool book!
    Happy reading and Happy Holidays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Keeping my fingers crossed for you on the job interview. :)

    Brave New World is also one my all-time favorites. I've been wanting to re-read it actually, but I just need to find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stupid accidental copy and past....anyway....

    That was a really nice going away present, I hope your second interview goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is one sexy edition of Lord of the Flies! I hope you really cherish it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am not a huge fan of Lord of the Flies, but that edition looks beautiful. Gorgeous artwork! I really liked The Running Man, though I hated the movie adaptation.

    Here's mine

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love great covers! I am such a cover snob - love your gift book! Enjoy all the reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! That really is a BEAUTIFL edition of Lord of the Flies!!!!
    I hope the job interview went well!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Holy crow...that Lonely Wereworlf Girl cover is creepy! I LOVE that copy of LotF! Gorgeous!

    Here's what I got this week! http://bookielaura.blogspot.com/2009/12/in-my-mailbox-12-23-09.html

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete